By: Oyster’s Talent Manager, Hannah Clarke
Five years ago we introduced psychometric testing here at Oyster Partnership. We needed guidance during the hiring process and a tool that could assist us with internal career development that wasn’t just based on ‘gut feeling’ or billings.
I am responsible for employing talented individuals to join the Oyster family, so I thought it would be useful to write a few facts about the test and what you can expect.
- There is no pass or fail; you’re not ‘scored’.
- We are looking for personality and behavioural traits – there are no ‘right’ or ‘wrong’ answers.
- Generally speaking, the test that we administer last around 40 mins, however there is no time limit.
- You don’t need to research anything – it’s all about self-perception so you just need to be honest with yourself!
- The test is not used in isolation, you’ll also interview with Managers face-to-face.
- We don’t just test people at interview stage; we use this as tool for career development.
- Results are valid for around 24 months – as you change and develop through experiences and education, so will your results!
- Psychometric testing provides objective results (so we aren’t basing our decisions on instinct!)
Here are my tips if you’ve been asked to complete a psychometric test:
- Turn off your mobile phone/TV/radio. You don’t need to be distracted.
- Be honest with yourself.
- Stop overthinking how we might want you to answer the questions.
- Concentrate specifically on what the question is.
- Don’t rush it.