My Client is currently looking to bring in a Highways Development Manager to lead their team for an initial term of 6 months.
- To lead in the management of the performance of the service and the delivery of operational objectives and targets.
- To effectively manage projects including developing and implementing project plans, budgets, securing and managing any necessary resources, maintaining quality standards and keeping senior managers appropriately briefed.
- To lead on the ongoing review of performance targets against which to measure and evaluate the effectiveness of the service to ensure continuous improvement and value for money.
- Keep up to date with any specialist knowledge including legislation, best practice, quality standards and innovations relevant to the professional area for the team and review policies, procedures and practices in light of these and implement necessary changes.
- To lead, manage and monitor relationships with third party suppliers and external agencies to deliver effective services and projects.
- To ensure that all health and safety processes are invoked and that staff are equipped to manage risk assessments and other health and safety issues.
- To ensure systems are maintained and improved to meet audit standards and recommendations.
- To support Senior Manager in developing plans and implementing improvements in the team, department, and directorate as required.
- Ensure senior management and elected members are informed of possible and actual situations that may lead to media interest.
- To carry out the duties and responsibilities of the post with due regard to all the Council’s policies.
- Other duties and responsibilities of a similar professional or managerial nature that may be allocated from time to time
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
- Experience and technical knowledge covering the fields of highways and transport planning (particularly relating to estate development, the interaction of major developer schemes with the public highway such as highway agreements, and street lighting).
- Experience in financial management, including capital funding for individual schemes and overall packages of work, and revenue budgets for team/staff.
- A basic understanding of, and some experience in working with, strategic and operational targets that deliver continual service improvements.
- Understanding of a work or project management system that captures scheme progress in terms of timeframes and budgets or outputs.
- Understanding of business analysis, including the use of non-financial performance indicators, to help to improve the service offered to customers.
- Experience in working with other organizations, particular external bodies such as voluntary groups and other public services.
- Knowledge and experience in working with a wide range of legislation relevant to the operation of the public highway, including but not limited to the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991, Highways Act 1980, Traffic Management Act 2004, Town and Country Planning Act 1990, Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984, and the Traffic Signs and General Directions Order 2016.
- Experience in working within a democratic environment, particularly but not limited to preparing reports, formulating agendas, and presenting to committees or other public forums.
- Good communication skills, especially in presentation and writing, and experience in influencing and persuading a variety of stakeholders.
- Ability to use any relevant ICT systems to monitor and evaluate individual and service-wide performance, and familiarity with specialist applications such as CAD.
My client is willing to negotiate on pay rates and can offer flexible working arrangements for the right candidate.
Click apply if this role sounds of interest to you.
If you would like to have a discreet chat about this role in more detail or would like some free-market advice, call Matt on 02077669027. Alternatively, I can be reached at
I am currently recruiting for a number of posts across the country, although most of my opportunities aren’t advertised, especially if I have candidates in mind suitable for the job. To be kept in the loop, please give me a call or email.
Oyster Partnership are completely compliant with GDPR and your data will not be shared with any other party without your explicit permission.